Manchester City can break Chelsea scoring record: Yaya Toure
London: Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure believes that his side can break Chelsea`s record for the most goals scored in a Premier League season.
The Blues blitzed 103 on their way to the title in 2009-10 but, after Sunday`s 6-0 demolition of Tottenham took City`s total to 34 after just 12 games - 10 more than anyone else in the division - City are on track to surpass the achievements of Carlo Ancelotti`s side.
Asked by reporters if Manuel Pellegrini`s men could set a new record, Toure enthused: "I hope so. We have the strikers [to do it].
"The team is concentrated on attacking; it`s fantastic. When you win like we did against Tottenham, it`s fantastic. They are a serious contender in the Premier League this year."
City`s previous fixture before the international break was a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Sunderland, and the midfielder knows the value of getting back on track quickly and addressing their poor away record.
"It was a very important win," he remarked. "Our loss at Sunderland was hard to take. It`s always difficult when you lose a game like that.
"We want to regain the Premier League title. We knew it would be difficult and if we are to stand a chance of doing that we have to win away from home.
"We are trying to find a balance. At home, we are prolific. Away, it`s more difficult. Either the referee is not fine or the fans or the opponents are making it really hard [but] that`s part of football. That`s the Premier League.
"We have to start winning away from home. It`s not just the big teams who are the problem. It`s the normal teams. The manager is working on finding the right balance."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark