Manchester City maintains Premier League title push with 4-1 win over Southampton
London: Manchester City has turned on the pressure on their Premier League title rivals with a 4-1 victory over Southampton on Saturday at the Etihad.
The victory moved City to within a point of leaders Liverpool, who visit West Ham on Sunday having already played one game more than Manuel Pellegrini`s men.
According to the BBC, a penalty shot by Yaya Toure gave the hosts the lead three minutes into the game, although visiting striker Rickie Lambert equalised with a spot-kick of his own.
However, the report mentioned that goals from Samir Nasri and Edin Dzeko in first-half stoppage time, followed by a late effort from Stevan Jovetic, made it 14 wins from 15 home league games for City this season.
But the report added that there was bad news for watching England boss Roy Hodgson as Southampton striker Jay Rodriguez was carried off with what looked like a serious knee injury, just moments after Toure`s penalty shot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy