Manchester City maintains Premier League title push with 4-1 win over Southampton
London: Manchester City has turned on the pressure on their Premier League title rivals with a 4-1 victory over Southampton on Saturday at the Etihad.
The victory moved City to within a point of leaders Liverpool, who visit West Ham on Sunday having already played one game more than Manuel Pellegrini`s men.
According to the BBC, a penalty shot by Yaya Toure gave the hosts the lead three minutes into the game, although visiting striker Rickie Lambert equalised with a spot-kick of his own.
However, the report mentioned that goals from Samir Nasri and Edin Dzeko in first-half stoppage time, followed by a late effort from Stevan Jovetic, made it 14 wins from 15 home league games for City this season.
But the report added that there was bad news for watching England boss Roy Hodgson as Southampton striker Jay Rodriguez was carried off with what looked like a serious knee injury, just moments after Toure`s penalty shot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened