Manchester City`s four-day coaching clinic ends in Mumbai
Mumbai: Top English football club Manchester City`s community foundation, in India to conduct coaching clinic to help children hone their skills, concluded its four-day stint in the city.
A majority of the participating children are part of the NGO Magic Bus that supports underprivileged kids and the clinic will now head to Delhi and is scheduled to last till December 6.
Former Manchester City goalkeeper Alex Williams, who is heading the coaching team, said it had been a good experience for him working with the children who are eager to learn.
"It has been a great experience for me. It has been great to be part of this fantastic project working with our partners (Etihad Airways and Jet Airways). The young kids are very enthusiastic. They want to learn," he said.
Williams, who is also the club`s community ambassador, would train the children`s mentors from the NGO.
"We don`t come here to just conduct the clinic but we have also worked with a lot of the mentors who work with the children from the Magic Bus. We would give them some experience in delivering certain football coaching topics. They can go back and work with the kids and do some of the sessions they have seen this week," he said.
Williams, who made 125 league appearances for Manchester City, said India would need infrastructure and facilities to develop the sport but conceded it would be difficult for him to say what state Indian football is currently in.
"You need to have set infrastructure, facilities, number of people playing the game. What we have done this week could be a very very small part of that," he said.
This is the first joint initiative taken by Etihad Airways and equity alliance partner Jet Airways, since the transaction for the purchase of 24 per cent of Jet Airways by the Abu Dhabi-based carrier was concluded on November 20.
It is Etihad Airways` first coaching initiative in India with an aim to promote sport among the Indian youth.
Etihad Airways, the main partner and shirt sponsor of Manchester City FC, has hosted several football clinics in Abu Dhabi, China, Seychelles and Nigeria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price