Manchester United & Santos dismiss Neymar links
Manchester United and Santos have both dismissed rumours that the Premier League side made a lucrative offer for wonderkid Neymar on transfer deadline day.
Reports had suggested that the Red Devils were ready to splash €48.1 million for Neymar, who has scored 111 goals in 185 appearances for his club.
Goal.com understands that United were priced out of a move for the Brazil international, who has a €63.3m buy-out clause at Santos.
The Old Trafford outfit had previously pursued Neymar`s fellow countryman Lucas Moura earlier this summer but were unable raise funds for a €38m move for the Sao Paulo attacker.
However, after the playmaker joined big-spenders PSG, who also signed the likes of Thiago Silva and Zlatan Ibrahimovic from AC Milan, the Premier League outfit reportedly turned their attention to Neymar and tabled a bid.
A Manchester United spokesperson dismissed the rumour, telling Goal.com: "It was total rubbish."
Santos` director of football Felipe Faro has also denied the speculation, insisting he does not know where they rumours came from and revealing that no transfer offer was received.
He told Globo Esporte: "I have no idea where that came from, but it`s not true."
The South American has consistently been linked with a move to La Liga duo Real Madrid and Barcelona ever since he exploded onto the scene in Brazil, but the player has always indicated that he is happy in his native homeland for now, with the club also delighted to keep hold on him.
His father, Neymar Santos, also laughed off the reports that he was the subject of an offer, joking: "Neymar was sold two years ago but we are still here."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...