Manchester United announce £750 million Adidas deal
London: English Premier League giants Manchester United on Monday announced a ten-year kit deal with German sportswear group Adidas worth £750 million (942 million euros, 1.28 billion dollars) after US rivals Nike walked away from the club.
The sponsorship switch comes after Nike left the bargaining table last Tuesday when Adidas agreed to more than double Nike`s current contract.
"Manchester United plc... has reached a ten year agreement with Adidas for a global technical sponsorship and dual branded licensing deal for a minimum guarantee of £750 million... beginning with the 2015/2016 campaign," the club said in a statement.
The club`s current 13-year deal with Nike, worth £303 million ($502 million, 368 million euros), is due to end in 2015 and an exclusivity period enabling the Oregon-based manufacturer to negotiate a new deal recently expired.
Adidas group chief executive Herbert Hainer said he was "excited to team up with...one of the most successful and most loved football clubs globally."
The record-breaking deal dwarfs the £248 million eight-year Adidas deal with Spanish team Real Madrid and the £30 million deal announced between Puma and English rivals Arsenal.
"Our new partnership with Manchester United clearly underlines our leadership in football and will help us to further strengthen our position in key markets around the world," he said
"At the same time, this collaboration marks a milestone for us when it comes to merchandising potential."
The CEO said he expected total sales to reach £1.5 billion over the course of the deal.
Despite calling Manchester United "a great club with passionate fans," Nike revealed last week it would not renew its deal.
"Any partnership with a club or federation has to be mutually beneficial, and the terms that were on offer for a renewed contract did not represent good value for Nike`s shareholders," it said.
"We look forward to a successful final season with the club."
Adidas also beat off competition from US manufacturers Warrior and Under Armour during the multiple party talks.
The German manufacturer last supplied United`s kits in 1992.
The northwestern England powerhouse is currently rebuilding following a dismal seventh place finish last season that saw manager David Moyes lose his job and a failure to qualify for the lucrative Champions League.
Netherlands World Cup manager Louis van Gaal has been given responsibility of restoring United to the top level of European football.
United is one of the most recognisable footballing brands globally and the club has won 62 trophies, including three European Cups and a record 20 domestic title, over 137 years.
The club last week revealed US car-maker Chevrolet as its kit sponsor for next season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- DNA: Govt claims no power shortage, but India looms in darkness
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- Heatwave toll rises to 1,826, over 1,300 dead in Andhra Pradesh
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination