Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson lavishes praise on possible successors Mourinho and Guardiola
London: The 70-year-old has spoken favourably on the two leading candidates who may one day replace him at Old Trafford and lifted the lid on what he thinks makes the pair so successful
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has lavished praise on the two leading candidates to succeed him at Old Trafford, Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourinho.
The 70-year-old, who has, as reported by Goal.com, identified Mourinho and Guardiola as the only two able to replace him, highlighted the qualities of the Real Madrid supremo, who he repeatedly faced and was occasionally thwarted by when the Portuguese was in charge of Porto and Chelsea.
"Jose is very intelligent, he has charisma, his players play for him, and he is a good looking guy,” said Ferguson as he talked to academics at Harvard Business School in Boston.
"I think I have most of those things, too, apart from his good looks
"He`s got a confidence about himself, saying `We`ll win this` and `I`m the Special One`.
"I could never come out and say we`re going to win this game. It`s maybe a wee bit of my Scottishness”
The Scot went on to discuss Guardiola, the former Barcelona boss who oversaw the side that defeated the Red Devils in both the 2009 and 2011 Champions League final.
"Guardiola is an impressive guy,” he continued.
“He`s brought about change in Barcelona, urging the team to always work hard to get the ball back within seconds after losing it.
"They are gifted but work hard. It was a fantastic achievement. He elevated the status of his players."
Guardiola is currently taking time out from the game after a highly successful period as Blaugrana boss and has been linked with a return to football at numerous Premier League clubs - including Chelsea, Manchester City, United and Arsenal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves