Manchester United defender Vidic out for the season
London: Manchester United defender Nemanja Vidic will miss the rest of the season after rupturing his cruciate knee ligament in the Champions League defeat by Basel, manager Alex Ferguson said on Friday.
"We thought it was a bad one," Ferguson told a news conference. "He`s out for the season. It`s not unexpected but it`s still bad news.”
"He`ll see a specialist on Monday to work out the progress of when he has the operation. It won`t be immediate as we have to let the swelling come down."
The Serbia centre-back was carried off on a stretcher during the 2-1 loss in Switzerland on Wednesday which sent United out of the Champions League at the group stage.
Vidic left the stadium on crutches and his agent said on Thursday the defender had "suffered a ruptured cruciate ligament."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on
- Funny video alert! ‘Housefull 3’ trio - Akshay Kumar, Abhishek Bachchan and Riteish Deshmukh - goes crazy
- Check jkbose.co.in for JKBOSE 12th Results 2016: Jammu and Kashmir Board Class 12 results declared
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper deal: Manohar Parrikar to make statement in Parliament today