Manchester United defender Vidic out for the season
London: Manchester United defender Nemanja Vidic will miss the rest of the season after rupturing his cruciate knee ligament in the Champions League defeat by Basel, manager Alex Ferguson said on Friday.
"We thought it was a bad one," Ferguson told a news conference. "He`s out for the season. It`s not unexpected but it`s still bad news.”
"He`ll see a specialist on Monday to work out the progress of when he has the operation. It won`t be immediate as we have to let the swelling come down."
The Serbia centre-back was carried off on a stretcher during the 2-1 loss in Switzerland on Wednesday which sent United out of the Champions League at the group stage.
Vidic left the stadium on crutches and his agent said on Thursday the defender had "suffered a ruptured cruciate ligament."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar