Manchester United had made last-minute 100 mln-pound bid for Gareth Bale
London: Defending Premier League champions Manchester United had reportedly made a world-record 100 million-pound bid for Welsh star Gareth Bale in order to hijack his move from Tottenham Hotspur to Real Madrid.
According to the Mirror, Bale had also flown from Spain to hold talks with United officials, who had earlier made a 60 million-pound offer for Bale, before opting to move to Madrid for `only` 86 million pounds.
The report mentioned that Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has publicly confirmed that another club came in for Bale during their negotiations in August.
Stating that they originally respected Tottenham`s decision not to sell Bale, Perez said that they made their offer when they found out about the previous United bid, although he added that Bale opted for Real as it was his childhood dream to play for the Spanish giants.
Perez also claimed that Bale was a bargain purchase despite his world record transfer fee, adding that the signing of Bale is the model of Real.
Perez also said that all the great signings of Real have been cheap.
United boss David Moyes` only signing after succeeding Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford was his former Everton midfielder Marouane Fellaini, in the final minutes of the summer transfer window, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray