Manchester United left with only League Cup, Champions League
Zee Media Bureau/Jayanta Oinam
New Delhi: The 2013-14 season is only half-way through. But Manchester United have already `thrown in the towel`, despite David Moyes` obstination that they will not surrender that meekly.
Now, England`s most successful club seats in seventh position, 14 points behind the leaders, Arsenal. In the current form, and without their two top players – Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney, Red Devils will continue to slid. They have lost seven league matches, latest being a humiliating defeat against a Samuel Eto`o led Chelsea.
Now, left with only two competitions to fight for, once feared Red Devils will try to redeem themselves by winning the League Cup. For that to happen, they must first kill their 1-2 semi-final deficit against a visiting Sunderland team in their Theatre of Dreams on 23 January.
Up next, they will be visiting the Greek city of Piraeus, in a bid to qualify for the quarter-finals of the continental competition. Unluckily for Moyes` beleaguered team, the Champions League first leg encounter against Olympiacos will be held away from the comforts of home.
In this situation and without those two players, any further slip-up will only aggravate their plight. And for a manager, who was unveiled with much fanfare, it is not a good time. With an ageing defensive line and heavy reliance on the young shoulders of Adnan Januzaj in the front-line, the 20-time winners in England will not hesitate to look for motivation from any person available. But, unluckily again, there seems to be no one, including their man-in-charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi- Part II
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Federation Cup National Athletics: Lalita Babar sets national mark, Sudha Singh joins her in 2016 Rio Olympics 3000m steeple
- Delhi Speaker nominates 13 AAP MLAs as members of civic bodies
- Sharad Pawar endorses Nitish Kumar as face of united oppn, Congress stays mum
- Indian Mathematician mimics viruses to design smallest self-assembling structures
- TN polls: DMK promises metro rail service for Coimbatore