Manchester United left with only League Cup, Champions League
Zee Media Bureau/Jayanta Oinam
New Delhi: The 2013-14 season is only half-way through. But Manchester United have already `thrown in the towel`, despite David Moyes` obstination that they will not surrender that meekly.
Now, England`s most successful club seats in seventh position, 14 points behind the leaders, Arsenal. In the current form, and without their two top players – Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney, Red Devils will continue to slid. They have lost seven league matches, latest being a humiliating defeat against a Samuel Eto`o led Chelsea.
Now, left with only two competitions to fight for, once feared Red Devils will try to redeem themselves by winning the League Cup. For that to happen, they must first kill their 1-2 semi-final deficit against a visiting Sunderland team in their Theatre of Dreams on 23 January.
Up next, they will be visiting the Greek city of Piraeus, in a bid to qualify for the quarter-finals of the continental competition. Unluckily for Moyes` beleaguered team, the Champions League first leg encounter against Olympiacos will be held away from the comforts of home.
In this situation and without those two players, any further slip-up will only aggravate their plight. And for a manager, who was unveiled with much fanfare, it is not a good time. With an ageing defensive line and heavy reliance on the young shoulders of Adnan Januzaj in the front-line, the 20-time winners in England will not hesitate to look for motivation from any person available. But, unluckily again, there seems to be no one, including their man-in-charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you