Manchester United match will not define our season, says Mourinho
London: The Real Madrid trainer does not believe the round of 16 tie will prove to be the pivotal moment in the season, though, he sees it as the most important round of the competition.
Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has refuted suggestions that his side`s Champions League encounter against Manchester United is make or break for them.
The former Chelsea trainer has come under pressure for Los Blancos` poor performances in La Liga, but he does not think the season should be judged on the result of the two matches against the Premier League leaders.
"We have to play four competitions this season, and we won the Super Cup and lost La Liga," he told reporters at a press conference.
"We`re in two competitions where we can win or lose. Let`s wait until the end and then we can judge the balance of the season."
Despite playing down the importance of the match for his team across the whole campaign, he did admit that if his side have aspirations of winning Europe`s premier club competition, then, getting through this round is critical.
"The last 16 is the most important round of this competition and this room full of journalists reflect what it means," he added.
"We are all hoping for a good game and I know the culture of English football and Sir Alex [Ferguson] will want to play a good game."
The Portuguese also believes his players will be able to step up and enjoy playing against a top side after failing to lift their games against lesser opposition domestically.
He continued: "It is easier for players to face great teams. One thing we lack is the motivation this season. It`s the reason we lost points against smaller teams.
"In the Champions League we knew we had to be one of the qualifying teams, so kept playing at the highest level. If this means anything, under normal conditions we would have to keep it up."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing