‘Manchester United opposed Park Ji-Sung`s transfer until the end’
Seoul: Park Ji-Sung`s father has revealed the South Korean was desperate for a new challenge after falling out of favour at Old Trafford but insists Manchester United opposed his move to QPR "until the end".
The 31-year-old midfielder was officially unveiled as a QPR player on Monday, ending his seven-year career with the Red Devils.
Park`s father Park Sung-Jong spoke to reporters in Suwon and revealed the ex-South Korea international had grown frustrated with a lack of game-time at United during the back end of the 2011-12 season.
“Although he was in good condition last season, his playing time was limited by five to six games,” Sung-Jong said.
He added: "He wanted a new challenge at a different place. Manchester United opposed the transfer until the end, but his heart was already set and he made the decision on the transfer.”
Park had confirmed to reporters on Monday his reasons for the move, stating: "Last season I hadn`t played as much. I would have had a good chance, an opportunity to play for Man United, but QPR made me a good offer. Their ambitions, their plan, everything was interesting for me."
Sung-Jong cited the decisive April derby with Manchester City where Park was roundly criticised for a sub-par performance in a 1-0 defeat. Park hadn`t played for almost one and a half months before thrown in as a starter in the game by boss Sir Alex Ferguson and his father said that affected his performance, resulting in unfair criticism.
“Then came the match against Manchester City," Sung-Jong said. “It’s like a worker at a company who, after a long break, struggles at first with a new assignment.”
“He went through many situations and he may have gotten the impression that he was being treated like a player who was going to be dumped."
As for speculation that Park`s exit had been impacted by the arrival of another Asian talent, Shinji Kagawa, Sung-Jong insisted that wasn`t true.
“Kagawa’s deal was announced after Park decided to transfer. There was no influence whatsoever,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA