Manchester United start Champions League campaign with a win

London: Manchester United have opened their 2012-13 Champions League campaign with a 1-0 home win over Galatasaray, but Sir Alex Ferguson`s men were far from convincing.

The Turkish champions had a penalty claim turned down inside the first minute and United soon made the most of that as Michael Carrick gave them the lead, but the visitors had their fair share of chances.

Nordin Amrabat and Hamit Altintop both struck the frame of the goal in the first-half for Fatih Terim`s side, while Nani missed a penalty in the second period, but the hosts were able to hold on for the three points.

After last season`s disappointment in the Champions League, Sir Alex Ferguson has been adamant he will be taking fewer risks with his line-ups and subsequently made six changes to the side that beat Wigan 4-0, with the returns of Patrice Evra, Robin van Persie and Shinji Kagawa the most noteworthy decisions.

Galatasaray also hit four at the weekend but they have made considerably less changes, as Dany Nounkeu, Hamit Altintop and Burak Yilmaz came in for Cris, Aydin Yilmaz and Johan Elmander, respectively.

With their noisy fans behind them, Galatasaray were straight on to the attack at the beginning and should have been given a penalty inside the first 40 seconds when Nemanja Vidic stretched to beat Burak Yilmaz to the ball after a poor back-pass by Patrice Evra, but Wolfgang Stark bizarrely waved play on despite blatant contact from the Serbian.

It did not take long for United to capitalise on Stark’s error of judgement as they soon took the lead through Carrick. The midfielder charged through the middle, and after an inter-change between Kagawa and Van Persie, Carrick had possession again and tapped the ball in after rounding goalkeeper Fernando Muslera.

The visitors were inches away from equalising minutes later as United gave possession away sloppily in the centre, allowing Nordin Amrabat to advance down the left before cutting inside and unleashing a curling effort, but the crossbar saved David de Gea from having to pick the ball out of his net.

For a while goalmouth action was rare, but United felt they should have had a penalty just after the half-hour mark when Kagawa was brought down in the area by Nounkeu, but replays showed Stark made the right decision, with the Cameroonian`s challenge perfectly-timed.

With seven minutes left of the first-half Galatasaray hit the woodwork again as Altintop hammered a low effort against De Gea`s left-hand post following a short free-kick, and United held on to their 1-0 lead until halftime, if a little fortuitously.

The hosts started the second period in lively fashion and almost doubled their lead in the 47th minute as Nani and Kagawa combined excellently in the right side of the area, but Semih Kaya got a block in deny the Japan international.

A few moments later United had the perfect opportunity to score from the penalty spot after Rafael was brought down by Burak, but Nani had his kick saved by Muslera and the Portugal international became the third player in a row to miss a penalty for United this season.

United were looking the more dangerous side in attack, but the slack passing from Carrick and Paul Scholes in midfield was still inviting pressure on the defence as the Turks were looking increasingly in control.

With 20 minutes to go there was a few seconda of madness, as first Evra had a shot put round the far post by Muslera, then an obvious foul on Nani in the penalty area was not given allowing the Turks to counter-attack, but De Gea pulled off an excellent double save to first deny Burak and then from Emre Colak.

Substitute Javier Hernandez really should have sealed the win for United with five minutes to go as he got on the end of a lobbed pass from Nani, but the Mexican`s left-footed strike went wide of the near post, while they had yet another penalty claim dismissed after Nounkeu brought down Antonio Valencia, but it didn`t matter as the hosts eventually crawled over the finish line.