Mancini claims Capello could have won ‘Euros’ for England
London: Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has defended his fellow Italian Fabio Capello and believes he could have won England the Euros in 2012.
Capello resigned as England manager last week following the Football Association’s decision to strip John Terry of the England captaincy. Mancini believes England may regret the day it let Capello quit as manager.
“I don`t know the reason for it but I can say that the national team has lost a top manager. And I think that with Fabio they had a big chance to win the European Championships,” a daily quoted Mancini, as saying.
He also forwarded Manchester City defensive midfielder Gareth Barry’s name for becoming the next captain of England, he had already captained England in a friendly against Ghana almost a year ago.
“Some players maybe don`t seem as important as others but in the end they are the most important players. These players can play in every position on the pitch, fight for every ball, help their manager and team-mates and are always available,” he said.
Mancini said even Capello believed in Barry’s captaincy credentials. “I think he could be an England captain because he is a clever man on the pitch, a really good player. Capello thought that, too, because he always played him,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster