Mancini claims Capello could have won ‘Euros’ for England
London: Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has defended his fellow Italian Fabio Capello and believes he could have won England the Euros in 2012.
Capello resigned as England manager last week following the Football Association’s decision to strip John Terry of the England captaincy. Mancini believes England may regret the day it let Capello quit as manager.
“I don`t know the reason for it but I can say that the national team has lost a top manager. And I think that with Fabio they had a big chance to win the European Championships,” a daily quoted Mancini, as saying.
He also forwarded Manchester City defensive midfielder Gareth Barry’s name for becoming the next captain of England, he had already captained England in a friendly against Ghana almost a year ago.
“Some players maybe don`t seem as important as others but in the end they are the most important players. These players can play in every position on the pitch, fight for every ball, help their manager and team-mates and are always available,” he said.
Mancini said even Capello believed in Barry’s captaincy credentials. “I think he could be an England captain because he is a clever man on the pitch, a really good player. Capello thought that, too, because he always played him,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Bulandshahr rape: SC pulls up UP Govt, Azam Khan over controversial remark - Details inside
- Scorpene data leak 'a matter of serious concern', asked DCNS for urgent probe: Navy Chief Sunil Lanba
- Forget Freedom 251, here comes another smartphone at Rs 501
- From Swift Dzire, to a BMW: It's dream come true, says PV Sindhu after receiving second car from Sachin Tendulkar
- Narendra Modi's big plan for PoK refugees in India – A Rs 2,000 crore package