Mancini claims Capello could have won ‘Euros’ for England
London: Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has defended his fellow Italian Fabio Capello and believes he could have won England the Euros in 2012.
Capello resigned as England manager last week following the Football Association’s decision to strip John Terry of the England captaincy. Mancini believes England may regret the day it let Capello quit as manager.
“I don`t know the reason for it but I can say that the national team has lost a top manager. And I think that with Fabio they had a big chance to win the European Championships,” a daily quoted Mancini, as saying.
He also forwarded Manchester City defensive midfielder Gareth Barry’s name for becoming the next captain of England, he had already captained England in a friendly against Ghana almost a year ago.
“Some players maybe don`t seem as important as others but in the end they are the most important players. These players can play in every position on the pitch, fight for every ball, help their manager and team-mates and are always available,” he said.
Mancini said even Capello believed in Barry’s captaincy credentials. “I think he could be an England captain because he is a clever man on the pitch, a really good player. Capello thought that, too, because he always played him,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?