Mancini declares Manchester City title hopes `impossible`
London: Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has waved the white flag in the Premier League title race, suggesting the 12 point gap to Sir Alex Ferguson’s Manchester United side is too large.
City won 2-1 at Old Trafford on Monday night thanks to a late Sergio Aguero goal, but admits with seven games remaining, the club`s chances are slim.
Mancini even joked that they would need points from their FA Cup run, which continues this Sunday against Chelsea at Wembley to mount any serious challenge to the title.
"If United lose against Stoke and we win against Chelsea in the FA Cup and win against Wigan [in the league next Wednesday] - six points, it could be possible," Mancini told reporters. "But we need to have three points for the FA Cup!
"It is impossible. They did better than us, they deserve to win. The championship is not important, it is finished, but it is important we showed we are like them. Twelve points is too much. We hope to get closer. We have seven games, so we hope."
The 48-year-old Italian also has injury concerns ahead of this weekend’s semi-final with David Silva and Sergio Aguero’s fitness being monitored.
"We will decide [on Silva], I think, on Sunday morning," he added. "We don`t know if it is possible and if there is a risk he will not play, but if there is not then maybe.
"He is getting better. Yesterday he ran, so I think we have a chance. I don`t think he can play 100 per cent but it is important he is very close.
“I am happy because he [Aguero] had a good impact in the game on Monday night and it is important he didn`t have any problems in his knee. "Probably he is not 100 per cent but Sergio for us at 80 per cent is important."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America