Mancini declares Manchester City title hopes `impossible`
London: Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has waved the white flag in the Premier League title race, suggesting the 12 point gap to Sir Alex Ferguson’s Manchester United side is too large.
City won 2-1 at Old Trafford on Monday night thanks to a late Sergio Aguero goal, but admits with seven games remaining, the club`s chances are slim.
Mancini even joked that they would need points from their FA Cup run, which continues this Sunday against Chelsea at Wembley to mount any serious challenge to the title.
"If United lose against Stoke and we win against Chelsea in the FA Cup and win against Wigan [in the league next Wednesday] - six points, it could be possible," Mancini told reporters. "But we need to have three points for the FA Cup!
"It is impossible. They did better than us, they deserve to win. The championship is not important, it is finished, but it is important we showed we are like them. Twelve points is too much. We hope to get closer. We have seven games, so we hope."
The 48-year-old Italian also has injury concerns ahead of this weekend’s semi-final with David Silva and Sergio Aguero’s fitness being monitored.
"We will decide [on Silva], I think, on Sunday morning," he added. "We don`t know if it is possible and if there is a risk he will not play, but if there is not then maybe.
"He is getting better. Yesterday he ran, so I think we have a chance. I don`t think he can play 100 per cent but it is important he is very close.
“I am happy because he [Aguero] had a good impact in the game on Monday night and it is important he didn`t have any problems in his knee. "Probably he is not 100 per cent but Sergio for us at 80 per cent is important."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report
- Pakistan denies Dawood's presence in Karachi, says 'UN report motivated by India's aim to malign us'