Mancini facing players’ mutiny following Man City’s ignominious loss to Ajax in CL
London: Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has started losing his dressing room at the club following their humiliating 3-1 defeat against underdogs Ajax in the Champions League, which has also almost derailed their European campaign for a second year in succession in the group stage itself.
According to the Daily Mirror, Mancini summoned his players in to City`s training ground on Thursday morning for an inquest into their 3-1 defeat to Ajax, despite the squad having not arrived back from Holland until late night.
Several senior City players have become disillusioned with the Italian`s approach, culminating in their humiliating 3-1 Champions League defeat at Ajax, the paper added.
Mancini was furious with his side for lurching to the brink of another Champions` League group stage exit and is himself facing growing unrest from within the squad over his own approach, the paper said.
Micah Richards questioned Mancini`s decision to switch formations several times during the Ajax game, while fellow defender Joleon Lescott said City`s players were not "overly enthusiastic" with how this season had gone, hinting at further discord, it added.
The paper further said, Mancini started the match against Ajax with a 4-2-3-1 system, changed midway through to 4-4-2 and then abandoned that for 3-5-2 during the second-half, leaving his players completely bewildered.
Mancini is famed for his stubborn streak and believes good players should be able to adapt to any formation, despite the fact they may have a preference for a particular system, the paper further reported.
However, the City boss faces a fresh test of his managerial power, with several of his players no longer bothering to hide their obvious disdain for his tinkering and tactics, it concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note