Mancini unfazed over Guardiola ‘shadow’ looming large over Man City
London: Roberto Mancini has claimed that he is prepared for the shadow of Pep Guardiola to loom over him at Manchester City, following the appointment of Txiki Begiristain, the former Barcelona technical director, as director of football at the Etihad.
Guardiola, currently spending a year-long sabbatical in New York after ending his star-studded four-year spell as Barcelona coach, worked closely with Begiristain, and City’s new chief executive, Ferran Soriano, during his reign at the Nou Camp.
While the Catalan connection between Guardiola and City’s newly arrived executive team has placed the spotlight on Mancini, the Italian insists that he still has a long and successful future at City, regardless of Guardiola’s status as football’s most-wanted out-of-work manager.
“I’m very happy because we have a new sporting director (Begiristain), he worked for Barca and has big experience with a top team. I have my job, Txiki will have his job, Ferran has his job but together I think we can work,” The Telegraph quoted Mancini, as saying.
“If you write that maybe next year we (City) arrive with Guardiola or another manager, I don’t know, this is not my problem. Pep is in New York and his problem is the typhoon,” he said.
Mancini said that as the boss now, his job was just to work well with everyone at City and build up a strong team.
“I am here, I want to work well and I want everyone to work well because, in this moment, we are ready to improve and build a stronger team,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH