Mano Menezes sacking a setback for Brazil, says Ronaldo
Rio de Janeiro: Three-time FIFA World Player of the Year Ronaldo believes that last November`s sacking of national coach Mano Menezes has set Brazil back in its preparations for the next year`s World Cup.
Menezes was dismissed in November last year, just days after leading Brazil to the Superclassic of the Americas trophy with a dramatic penalty shootout victory over Argentina in Buenos Aires, Xinha reports.
He was replaced in December by 64-year-old Luiz Felipe Scolari, under whom Ronaldo played in Brazil`s 2002 World Cup-winning team in Japan and South Korea.
"I think the change was too soon," said Ronaldo, who now runs a sports marketing agency and is an ambassador for Brazil World Cup organising committee.
"I feel comfortable saying this because I have nothing to do with the CBF. Mano was starting to get results and the team was playing better."
"Despite the fact there is still time before the World Cup, Brazilian fans want the team to be strong now. They want Brazil to be winning and playing well. The change of coach set the team back."
Brazil is yet to win since Scolari`s re-appointment, losing 2-1 to England in February followed by 2-2 and 1-1 draws against Italy and Russia last month.
While he did not directly criticise Scolari, Ronaldo said he rated Corinthians manager Tite and Santos boss Muricy Ramalho as Brazil`s best current coaches.
"I know the Felipe of 2002. But we are now in 2013. For that reason it`s difficult to say how he will do now," Ronaldo said. "My memories are of a fun, happy guy who is a great leader of men. He will win the players over quickly and form the Scolari family number two. I hope he can repeat the success of 2002."
Ronaldo said Brazil, currently at an all-time low 18th in FIFA`s world rankings, are still far from defining their World Cup team.
He cited Santos striker Neymar, Chelsea midfielder Oscar and Paris Saint-German defender Thiago Silva as the only players close to securing a berth in the squad.
"No player is ever 100 percent sure of playing for Brazil, even in the days of Romario and Bebeto," Ronaldo said. "There is always a shadow. But there are players that have big chances of being selected, which is different."
"I don`t see any alternative other than to persevere with the players that Mano used and that Felipe has now assumed. It`s the coach`s job to motivate the players to play for their lives every game."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org