Manuel Neuer says Bayern keeper`s role easier under Pep Guardiola
Manuel Neuer is better suited to new Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola`s style of passing the ball out from the back than he was to the tactics of predecessor Jupp Heynckes, said the Germany goalkeeper.
Guardiola took over from the treble-winning Heynckes in the close season and ball possession has always been a priority for the Spaniard who won 14 trophies in four years with his former club Barcelona.
"Under Guardiola we are trying to play the ball out in a more controlled way instead of with long balls forward," Neuer told Sport Bild magazine in an interview to be published on Wednesday.
"It was often the case last season that we played it safe and looked for (striker Mario Mandzukic) up front with long, high balls. Now we play the ball out.
"Players are looking for me more now than before and I can take part in launching our plays. For me it is easier because that way I am more involved in the game," added Neuer.
Bayern have enjoyed a stellar start to Guardiola`s first season and are undefeated in all three competitions they have taken part in.
The Bavarians top the Bundesliga, a point ahead of Borussia Dortmund and Bayer Leverkusen, and are also leading their Champions League group with three wins from three games.
The 27-year-old Neuer has conceded six goals in 10 Bundesliga games and only one in three Champions League matches.
Bayern are attempting to become the first team to successfully defend the trophy since the Champions League replaced the European Cup format in 1992-93.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand