Manuel Neuer throws his hat in the ring for German captaincy
Berlin: Germany`s World Cup-winning goalkeeper Manuel Neuer is willing to become the captain of the national team after the post was left vacant by teammate Philipp Lahm.
Neuer, voted player of the year by "Kicker" magazine, answered with a clear `yes` when asked by the magazine if he felt able to fill the post, but he added that the matter should be discussed with the coach and some of the players, reports EFE.
He, however, noted that if the choice was left to him he would opt for a midfielder because it makes communication with the referee easier.
Lahm announced he was leaving his post just days after returning from Brazil with the World Cup, opening a debate over who will be his successor in leading `Die Nationalmannschaft`.
Neuer, 28, won the Golden Glove in the tournament that gave Germany its fourth World Cup after defeating Argentina in the final.
The Bayern Munich keeper was also voted Player of the Year by "Kicker" magazine, while Germany manager, Joachim Low, was voted best head coach.
"Kicker", which announced the awards Sunday, said Neuer took 144 of 701 total votes, while Borussia Dortmund`s Marco Reus came second and the third place was for Bayern`s Thomas Muller.
Among the winning technicians, Markus Weinzierl grabbed second place and Pep Guardiola came third.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre