Manuel Neuer throws his hat in the ring for German captaincy
Berlin: Germany`s World Cup-winning goalkeeper Manuel Neuer is willing to become the captain of the national team after the post was left vacant by teammate Philipp Lahm.
Neuer, voted player of the year by "Kicker" magazine, answered with a clear `yes` when asked by the magazine if he felt able to fill the post, but he added that the matter should be discussed with the coach and some of the players, reports EFE.
He, however, noted that if the choice was left to him he would opt for a midfielder because it makes communication with the referee easier.
Lahm announced he was leaving his post just days after returning from Brazil with the World Cup, opening a debate over who will be his successor in leading `Die Nationalmannschaft`.
Neuer, 28, won the Golden Glove in the tournament that gave Germany its fourth World Cup after defeating Argentina in the final.
The Bayern Munich keeper was also voted Player of the Year by "Kicker" magazine, while Germany manager, Joachim Low, was voted best head coach.
"Kicker", which announced the awards Sunday, said Neuer took 144 of 701 total votes, while Borussia Dortmund`s Marco Reus came second and the third place was for Bayern`s Thomas Muller.
Among the winning technicians, Markus Weinzierl grabbed second place and Pep Guardiola came third.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA