Manuel Pellegrini admits Manchester City not ready to begin title defence
London: Manchester City football manager Manuel Pellegrini has admitted that his squad is not ready to begin the defence of their Premier League title this weekend.
City was defeated by Arsenal in the Community Shield , with the Premier League champions` boss Pellegrini without eight key players at Wembley.
City`s World Cup stars Vincent Kompany, Pablo Zabaleta, Fernandinho, Sergio Aguero, Bacary Sagna and Martin Demichelis were all excused after only resuming training last week, The Mirror reported.
Frank Lampard also watched the game from the stands and crocked Alvaro Negredo was seen on crutches
Pellegrini admits that his side is now unlikely to be firing in their opener at Newcastle on Sunday. He said that it is difficult to be ready in two weeks.
Pellegrini said that the players Aguero, Zabaleta, Demichelis, Kompany, Sagna, Fernandinho just arrived seven days ago, adding that they would have 15 days before City starts the Premier League, so they would see which of them are ready and which of them are not ready.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal