Manuel Pellegrini keen for Man City to avoid repeat of PL `disaster`
London: Manchester City football team manager Manuel Pellegrini is keen for the defending champions to avoid a repeat of the disaster they experienced after they first won the Premier League.
During the 2012-13 season, after Roberto Mancini guided City to the crown, they finished a distant second to Manchester United. On Sunday, City began their defence with a 2-0 win at Newcastle United .
Pellegrini said that this team won the title two years ago and the next season was a disaster. He added that it wasn`t a useful year for anyone, The BBC reported.
Pellegrini also said that last season Manchester United had a disaster, as they finished seventh after winning the title. He said that it is important from the beginning that they understand City won the title last season and need to win again this year.
Meanwhile, the Chilean manager said that he has a stronger squad for the defence of the crown. City signed defender Eliaquim Mangala for about 32 million pounds, keeper Willy Caballero from his old club Malaga and Brazilian midfielder Fernando, who impressed on his league debut.
He said that it is very difficult to compare each year, adding that maybe last year a lot of people doubted City could win the title because it was his first season in the Premier League.
Pellegrini said that now they have one year more working with the players and a strong squad. He said that there are five or six teams that can win the title, so City needs the same attitude, the hunger with which they have started the season and the same humility in every game.