Maracana pitch readied for World Cup
Rio de Janeiro: A rejuvenation process in preparation for next year`s FIFA World Cup was started on the turf of Brazil`s iconic Maracana stadium.
The move follows criticism of the pitch`s condition amid a heavy match schedule since its June reopening, reported Xinhua.
Groundsman Paulo Azeredo said an intricate grass renewal programme was started last week.
"We are going to start by removing excess grass so that re-growth can occur," Azeredo said. "Then we will begin an aeration process before new fertilizer is planted."
The Maracana has staged 52 matches since its June 2 re-inauguration after a three-year, $500 million revamp.
The venue will host seven World Cup matches, including the final July 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list