Maracana pitch readied for World Cup
Rio de Janeiro: A rejuvenation process in preparation for next year`s FIFA World Cup was started on the turf of Brazil`s iconic Maracana stadium.
The move follows criticism of the pitch`s condition amid a heavy match schedule since its June reopening, reported Xinhua.
Groundsman Paulo Azeredo said an intricate grass renewal programme was started last week.
"We are going to start by removing excess grass so that re-growth can occur," Azeredo said. "Then we will begin an aeration process before new fertilizer is planted."
The Maracana has staged 52 matches since its June 2 re-inauguration after a three-year, $500 million revamp.
The venue will host seven World Cup matches, including the final July 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur