Maradona advised Real Madrid to sign Aguero
Dubai: Al Wasl coach Diego Maradona claims he told Real Madrid to sign Sergio Aguero prior to the Argentina striker`s off-season move from Spain to Manchester City.
The 23-year-old Aguero transferred from Atletico Madrid to the Etihad Stadium for a reported 38 million pounds ($62 million) before the start of the English Premier League season.
Maradona said Tuesday he suggested his son-in-law`s services to Madrid as a way of them closing the gap on Spanish and European champion Barcelona, one of Maradona`s former clubs.
"I actually advised Real Madrid to sign Aguero," the Argentina great said. "I felt he would be a very good player to fit into their squad, so that they can become a much more competitive side and maybe even rise up to the level of Barcelona.
"But, they didn`t do that and I consider the fact that they didn`t sign him as a loss. Of course, we can now see that he has got great skills and is scoring goals every time he plays with Manchester City. I`m sure Manchester City are very happy to have such a player and it`s an honour to have him as my son-in-law."
Aguero has scored eight goals in five Premier League appearances for his new club.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption