Maradona advised Real Madrid to sign Aguero
Dubai: Al Wasl coach Diego Maradona claims he told Real Madrid to sign Sergio Aguero prior to the Argentina striker`s off-season move from Spain to Manchester City.
The 23-year-old Aguero transferred from Atletico Madrid to the Etihad Stadium for a reported 38 million pounds ($62 million) before the start of the English Premier League season.
Maradona said Tuesday he suggested his son-in-law`s services to Madrid as a way of them closing the gap on Spanish and European champion Barcelona, one of Maradona`s former clubs.
"I actually advised Real Madrid to sign Aguero," the Argentina great said. "I felt he would be a very good player to fit into their squad, so that they can become a much more competitive side and maybe even rise up to the level of Barcelona.
"But, they didn`t do that and I consider the fact that they didn`t sign him as a loss. Of course, we can now see that he has got great skills and is scoring goals every time he plays with Manchester City. I`m sure Manchester City are very happy to have such a player and it`s an honour to have him as my son-in-law."
Aguero has scored eight goals in five Premier League appearances for his new club.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt