Maradona to land in soccer-crazy Kerala on October 23
Thiruvananthapuram: Soccer fans will get to see Argentine football legend Diego Maradona on October 23 when he arrives in the state on a two-day visit for the inauguration of a private jewellery group of which he is the brand ambassador.
Maradona is coming for the inauguration of a new showroom of Boby Chemmanur International Jewellers and Airlines at Kannur on October 24.
Shaji J S, advertising manager of the Group, told PTI that Maradona would land at Nedumbassery airport in Kochi on Oct 23 and leave for Kannur by helicopter the same day.
He said the `soccer God` would also spare an hour at the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium at Kannur dribbling the ball.
The organisers have sought the help of 3,000 police personnel for security arrangements. "Private security is also being arranged," he said.
Football-crazy Malabar region of Kannur, Kozhikode and Malappuram is eagerly waiting for the lifetime opportunity to catch a glimpse of the legend who enthralled fans all over the world in his 17-year career between 1977 and 1994.
Maradona, selected as FIFA player of the 20th century along with Pele in 2000, had come to India once before, for a function in Kolkata in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- PM Modi to chair NITI Aayog meet today, review 15-year vision plan
- Landslides close Jammu-Srinagar highway; Amarnath Yatra suspended
- Italian leaders vow to prevent terrorist attacks
- UN chief voices concern over Turkey situation
- Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will commence at this breathtaking location – See pic