Maradona to land in soccer-crazy Kerala on October 23
Thiruvananthapuram: Soccer fans will get to see Argentine football legend Diego Maradona on October 23 when he arrives in the state on a two-day visit for the inauguration of a private jewellery group of which he is the brand ambassador.
Maradona is coming for the inauguration of a new showroom of Boby Chemmanur International Jewellers and Airlines at Kannur on October 24.
Shaji J S, advertising manager of the Group, told PTI that Maradona would land at Nedumbassery airport in Kochi on Oct 23 and leave for Kannur by helicopter the same day.
He said the `soccer God` would also spare an hour at the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium at Kannur dribbling the ball.
The organisers have sought the help of 3,000 police personnel for security arrangements. "Private security is also being arranged," he said.
Football-crazy Malabar region of Kannur, Kozhikode and Malappuram is eagerly waiting for the lifetime opportunity to catch a glimpse of the legend who enthralled fans all over the world in his 17-year career between 1977 and 1994.
Maradona, selected as FIFA player of the 20th century along with Pele in 2000, had come to India once before, for a function in Kolkata in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof