March 9 inaugural match for Manaus
Manaus` Amazonia Arena, one of Brazil`s 12 World Cup venues, will host its inaugural match on March 9, the Brazilian government said on its World Cup web portal Thursday.
The match will pit modest club sides Nacional and Remo against each other in a quarter-final of the Copa Verde, a regional tournament.
Just 20,000 fans will be admitted -- just under half the capacity of the spectacular new venue -- with 7,000 tickets reserved for site workers and their families.
Luis Fernandes, deputy sports minister and a close ally of President Dilma Rousseff on the World Cup organizing committee, told AFP on February 21: "The Manaus stadium is ready."
He added that Rousseff would want to attend the official inauguration of the venue and would likely go there after the Rio carnival, which ends March 4.
Manaus will host four opening phase matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16