March 9 inaugural match for Manaus
Manaus` Amazonia Arena, one of Brazil`s 12 World Cup venues, will host its inaugural match on March 9, the Brazilian government said on its World Cup web portal Thursday.
The match will pit modest club sides Nacional and Remo against each other in a quarter-final of the Copa Verde, a regional tournament.
Just 20,000 fans will be admitted -- just under half the capacity of the spectacular new venue -- with 7,000 tickets reserved for site workers and their families.
Luis Fernandes, deputy sports minister and a close ally of President Dilma Rousseff on the World Cup organizing committee, told AFP on February 21: "The Manaus stadium is ready."
He added that Rousseff would want to attend the official inauguration of the venue and would likely go there after the Rio carnival, which ends March 4.
Manaus will host four opening phase matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire