March 9 inaugural match for Manaus
Manaus` Amazonia Arena, one of Brazil`s 12 World Cup venues, will host its inaugural match on March 9, the Brazilian government said on its World Cup web portal Thursday.
The match will pit modest club sides Nacional and Remo against each other in a quarter-final of the Copa Verde, a regional tournament.
Just 20,000 fans will be admitted -- just under half the capacity of the spectacular new venue -- with 7,000 tickets reserved for site workers and their families.
Luis Fernandes, deputy sports minister and a close ally of President Dilma Rousseff on the World Cup organizing committee, told AFP on February 21: "The Manaus stadium is ready."
He added that Rousseff would want to attend the official inauguration of the venue and would likely go there after the Rio carnival, which ends March 4.
Manaus will host four opening phase matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves