Mario Balotelli ruled out of Confed Cup semi-final
Fortaleza: Striker Mario Balotelli has been ruled out of Italy`s Confederations Cup semi-final against Spain with a thigh injury, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) announced on Sunday.
The 22-year-old AC Milan striker, who has two goals to his name at the tournament of continental champions in Brazil, had been expected to lead Italy`s attack against Spain in Fortaleza on Thursday.
"The examinations carried out this afternoon (Sunday) in Fortaleza on Mario Balotelli showed a grade-one tear in the quadriceps muscle of the left leg," the FIGC said in a statement.
"The player will not be available for the semi-final against Spain on Thursday, June 27 and in the coming days his condition will be evaluated for the match on the 30th (either the final or third-place play-off)."
Earlier, the FIGC had confirmed right-back Ignazio Abate`s withdrawal from the tournament due to a dislocated shoulder and said midfielder Riccardo Montolivo was due to undergo tests on a head injury.
Abate hurt his shoulder during Italy`s 4-2 loss to Brazil on Saturday and team doctor Enrico Castellacci said he would return to Italy immediately "given the impossibility of him continuing in the competition".
Castellacci said that an initial brain scan on Montolivo had revealed nothing, after the Milan midfielder was also forced off during the Brazil game.
"The boy is doing better and his condition will also be medically evaluated," Castellacci said.
Manager Cesare Prandelli said he hoped to have Andrea Pirlo fit for the semi-final after the Juventus midfielder sat out the Brazil game with a calf complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- 7th Pay Commission: Non-performing govt employees to not get annual increment
- Tri-Nation series final: Mitchell Marsh, Josh Hazlewood guide Australia to 58-run win over West Indies
- History on line as Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer get Wimbledon under way
- 10-year-old boy injured after minor girl forces sex in Kanpur
- Plane catches fire while making emergency landing in Singapore