Mario Balotelli ruled out of Confed Cup semi-final
Fortaleza: Striker Mario Balotelli has been ruled out of Italy`s Confederations Cup semi-final against Spain with a thigh injury, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) announced on Sunday.
The 22-year-old AC Milan striker, who has two goals to his name at the tournament of continental champions in Brazil, had been expected to lead Italy`s attack against Spain in Fortaleza on Thursday.
"The examinations carried out this afternoon (Sunday) in Fortaleza on Mario Balotelli showed a grade-one tear in the quadriceps muscle of the left leg," the FIGC said in a statement.
"The player will not be available for the semi-final against Spain on Thursday, June 27 and in the coming days his condition will be evaluated for the match on the 30th (either the final or third-place play-off)."
Earlier, the FIGC had confirmed right-back Ignazio Abate`s withdrawal from the tournament due to a dislocated shoulder and said midfielder Riccardo Montolivo was due to undergo tests on a head injury.
Abate hurt his shoulder during Italy`s 4-2 loss to Brazil on Saturday and team doctor Enrico Castellacci said he would return to Italy immediately "given the impossibility of him continuing in the competition".
Castellacci said that an initial brain scan on Montolivo had revealed nothing, after the Milan midfielder was also forced off during the Brazil game.
"The boy is doing better and his condition will also be medically evaluated," Castellacci said.
Manager Cesare Prandelli said he hoped to have Andrea Pirlo fit for the semi-final after the Juventus midfielder sat out the Brazil game with a calf complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Sexism row in BBL: Chris Gayle hits back heavily at criticisers, says it was just for ‘little fun’
- Economic engagement with Afghanistan, Iran our priority: PM Modi
- Watch! This is how ATM frauds cheat victims
- Allergic customer dies after being served nut-based curry; restaurant owner found guilty
- Here's a guide to fertility preservation in adult female cancer survivors