‘Mario Gomez is good, but not great’
Munich: Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness felt that the club desperately needed to sign new forwards this summer, arguing that while star striker Mario Gomez is good, he is not "very good".
The Bavarians have strengthened their attack with the acquisitions of Mario Mandzukic and Claudio Pizarro and the 60-year-old believes that both men have an important role to play at the Allianz Arena.
"We now have alternatives for Mario Gomez," he told reporters on Sunday.
"This is a prerequisite for success. He is good - but not very good."
"Pizarro never misses a trick, while Mandzukic is important as a great header of the ball."
Bayern are also keen to reinforce their midfield with Athletic Bilbao`s Javi Martinez and Bayer Leverkusen`s Germany international Lars Bender mooted as transfer targets.
However, Hoeness went on to reiterate that the club are not prepared to break the bank for either player.
"We will not pay €40 million for a player from Bilbao," he stated, referring to Martinez`s buyout clause. "Leverkusen should give a signal, [then] we can talk about Bender. We don`t want to cause any trouble."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price