Mario Gomez to undergo surgery after sustaining ankle injury
Munich: Bayern Munich have confirmed Mario Gomez is due to undergo surgery on an ankle injury he sustained during his side`s match against Werder Bremen on Saturday.
The 27-year-old was stretchered off only minutes shy of the half-time whistle at the Imtech Arena in Hamburg, and it was later discovered that he would require an operation to rectify the problem.
Speaking on Sunday, Bayern sporting director Matthias Sammer admitted: "He is not good. He needs surgery. Then we`ll see how long he`s out for."
The match finished 2-2 after regular time, only for Thomas Schaaf`s side to win out 4-2 on spot-kicks.
The Germany striker could join the likes of Rafinha (torn knee ligament), Diego Contento (hairline foot fracture) and David Alaba (stress foot fracture) on the club`s treatment table with long-term injuries.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory