Mario Gomez to undergo surgery after sustaining ankle injury
Munich: Bayern Munich have confirmed Mario Gomez is due to undergo surgery on an ankle injury he sustained during his side`s match against Werder Bremen on Saturday.
The 27-year-old was stretchered off only minutes shy of the half-time whistle at the Imtech Arena in Hamburg, and it was later discovered that he would require an operation to rectify the problem.
Speaking on Sunday, Bayern sporting director Matthias Sammer admitted: "He is not good. He needs surgery. Then we`ll see how long he`s out for."
The match finished 2-2 after regular time, only for Thomas Schaaf`s side to win out 4-2 on spot-kicks.
The Germany striker could join the likes of Rafinha (torn knee ligament), Diego Contento (hairline foot fracture) and David Alaba (stress foot fracture) on the club`s treatment table with long-term injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border