Mario Gomez to undergo surgery after sustaining ankle injury
Munich: Bayern Munich have confirmed Mario Gomez is due to undergo surgery on an ankle injury he sustained during his side`s match against Werder Bremen on Saturday.
The 27-year-old was stretchered off only minutes shy of the half-time whistle at the Imtech Arena in Hamburg, and it was later discovered that he would require an operation to rectify the problem.
Speaking on Sunday, Bayern sporting director Matthias Sammer admitted: "He is not good. He needs surgery. Then we`ll see how long he`s out for."
The match finished 2-2 after regular time, only for Thomas Schaaf`s side to win out 4-2 on spot-kicks.
The Germany striker could join the likes of Rafinha (torn knee ligament), Diego Contento (hairline foot fracture) and David Alaba (stress foot fracture) on the club`s treatment table with long-term injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA