Mario Gomez to undergo surgery after sustaining ankle injury
Munich: Bayern Munich have confirmed Mario Gomez is due to undergo surgery on an ankle injury he sustained during his side`s match against Werder Bremen on Saturday.
The 27-year-old was stretchered off only minutes shy of the half-time whistle at the Imtech Arena in Hamburg, and it was later discovered that he would require an operation to rectify the problem.
Speaking on Sunday, Bayern sporting director Matthias Sammer admitted: "He is not good. He needs surgery. Then we`ll see how long he`s out for."
The match finished 2-2 after regular time, only for Thomas Schaaf`s side to win out 4-2 on spot-kicks.
The Germany striker could join the likes of Rafinha (torn knee ligament), Diego Contento (hairline foot fracture) and David Alaba (stress foot fracture) on the club`s treatment table with long-term injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city