Marseille reach French League Cup final
Sao Paulo: Brazilian striker Brandao`s double helped Olympique Marseille reach the French League Cup final with a 2-1 win after extra time at Toulouse.
Brandao first scored a late equaliser for Marseille to send the game into extra time after a second-half header by France forward Andre-Pierre Gignac had put Toulouse in front.
The winner came just before the extra time interval with Brandao scoring with a powerful shot.
Marseille, who have never won the League Cup, will meet the winner of the other semi-final between Lorient and holders Girondins Bordeaux on March 27 at the Stade de France.
Lorient and Bordeaux play on Feb. 17.
Marseille created more of the limited chances in the first half but both Argentine midfielder Lucho Gonzalez`s long range effort and Senegal striker Mamadou Niang`s header went wide.
Both teams played at a higher pace after the break and the home side broke the deadlock thanks to a Gignac header at the far post from an Albin Ebondo cross just before the hour.
Brandao headed home the equaliser from a Hatem Ben Arfa cross four minutes from the end of normal time.
Two French Cup round of 32 games were also played on Wednesday and Ligue 1 strugglers St Etienne needed a penalty shootout to overcome fourth-division Villefranche after a 2-2 draw.
Sochaux also qualified with a 3-0 demolition of Le Mans at home in an all-Ligue 1 tie.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive