Marseille v PSG match postponed because of H1N1 flu
Paris: Olympique Marseille`s Ligue 1 game against Paris St Germain was postponed and the whole PSG team were quarantined on Sunday after several players were diagnosed with H1N1 flu, the French Professional League (LFP) said.
The decision was taken "on the formal recommendation of the (national) commission of medical experts", the LFP said in a statement on its website.
The match between the Ligue 1 arch-rivals was scheduled for 2000 GMT at the Stade Velodrome.
The national commission also decided that all PSG players and staff members would be quarantined for the next 72 hours.
"This decision is vindicated by the will to stop all risk of contagion, including among players of the opposing team, and of complications among the players who are potentially infected," the LFP said.
The three PSG players involved were not named by the LFP but according to French media, Ludovic Giuly, Mamadou Sakho and Jeremy Clement have been tested in the last 48 hours for the H1N1 virus after complaining of high fever, coughing and sore throats.
Coach Antoine Kombouare had told the club`s website on Saturday that he may have to do without the trio for the match.
Several cases of H1N1 flu have been reported among sportsmen in France and two rugby championship games were postponed in August after six players and a coach of the Castres club were diagnosed with the virus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Six scientists end year-long Mars mission
- I have made many fashion blunders: Karisma Kapoor
- Hyundai to bring hybrids to India by next year
- Los Angeles Police say reports of gunfire at airport were false alarm, 'Zorro' detained
- Happy Birthday Dhyan Chand: 10 interesting facts you must know about India's hockey legend