Martinez called up by Spain to replace Albiol
Madrid: Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has called up Real Sociedad centre back Inigo Martinez to replace the injured Raul Albiol for their final two World Cup qualifiers at home to Belarus and Georgia.
Napoli defender Albiol was forced to withdraw from the games against Belarus in Mallorca on October 11 and Georgia in Albacete four days later because of a muscle injury in his right leg.
"Once the results of the tests on Raul Albiol conducted by ... his club had been received and evaluated, the medical department of the Spanish team recommended he not join up with the squad," the soccer federation (RFEF) said on Spain`s website (www.sefutbol.com) on Saturday.
A later statement said Martinez would join the squad to provide cover for regular centre backs Gerard Pique of Barcelona and Real Madrid`s Sergio Ramos.
World and European champions Spain and France, who are assured of at least a place in the playoffs, both have 14 points at the top of Group I although Les Bleus have played one more match than their southern neighbours.
France`s final game is at home to Finland on October 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa