Match-fixing can never disappear: Wenger
London: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says that match-fixing can never be eradicated completely.
Wenger`s comments came Friday, a day after two men suspected of involvement in fixing English lower league matches were charged and appeared at Cannock Magistrates Court this morning, according to National Crime Agency (NCA), reports Xinhua.
The duo, alleged to be members of an international illegal betting syndicate based in Singapore, were among seven people arrested this week as part of an NCA investigation.
"Can it (fixing) be eradicated completely? I am not sure. It is not only a concern for me, it is a shame," Wenger said.
Wenger knew the damage of match-fixing during his early time in coaching Monaco when French champions Marseille, also the 1993 Champions League winners, were found to have been involved in a match-fixing scandal and were relegated to Division 2 and banned from European football for the following season.
"Once you don`t know if everyone is genuine out there any more, that is something absolutely disastrous," the French head coach added.
"I think we absolutely have to fight against that with the strongest severity to get that out of the game."
Wenger, who started his Arsenal time in 1996, showed his belief that English football is clean.
"I don`t believe that in England people fix matches, but we live in an international world and you cannot just stop it at the border any more. It is a new problem that we all face."
"I still think that 99.9 per cent, the English game is completely clean."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says