Mauro Icardi called up by Argentina after Messi injury
Buenos Aires: Lionel Messi`s injury has opened the international door to Inter Milan forward Mauro Icardi, called up for the first time by Argentina coach Alejandro Sabella for their last two World Cup qualifiers.
"Sabella called up forward Mauro Icardi of Italy`s Inter today (Monday) for the matches against Peru and Uruguay," the Argentine Football Association (AFA) said on its website (www.afa.org.ar).
Argentina, who lead the South American group and have already qualified for the 2014 finals in Brazil, host Peru in Buenos Aires on October 11 and visit Uruguay in Montevideo four days later.
Messi suffered a hamstring injury playing for Barcelona at Almeria on Saturday and is expected to be out of action for up to three weeks.
The 20-year-old Icardi, an Argentina under-20 international, came through Barcelona`s junior ranks before joining Sampdoria in 2011 from where he moved to Inter this season.
Sabella added Icardi to the squad he named on Friday which included Messi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof