Mel gets Baggies` backing
London: West Bromwich Albion gave a public declaration of support to coach Pepe Mel on Wednesday following recent speculation over the Spaniard`s future with the Premier League club.
The Midlands side have still to win their first match since Mel replaced the sacked Steve Clarke and are currently just a point above the relegation zone.
And while meetings have bene held at The Hawthorns, Albion indicated Mel would remain in charge until the end of the season.
"At present, we are going through a period of transition, which is natural following the appointment of a new head coach," West Brom sporting director Richard Garlick said in a statement on the club`s website.
"There is also a lot of frustration at our league position and run of form. I would be more concerned if there wasn`t.
"Various meetings have been held within the football department over the past few days to discuss our current situation and what needs to be done to improve results in our final 11 games.
"The discussions have proved constructive. There has been a lot of soul-searching and it is clear everyone has a real hunger and desire to keep the club in the Premier League.
"Pepe, the coaching staff and players will now do everything in their power to achieve this common goal."
Matej Vydra`s late equaliser earned the Baggies a point against Fulham on Saturday, their fourth 1-1 scoreline in Mel`s six games in charge.
The previous three came against Everton, Liverpool and, Chelsea, but defeats by Aston Villa and Crystal Palace have prevented West Brom climbing further away from the bottom three.
Albion`s next match is at home to faltering champions Manchester United on March 8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation