Mertesacker hails Arsenal team spirit
Helsinki: Per Mertesacker believes that Arsenal`s pre-season preparations have brought them closer and made them stronger ahead of the new campaign.
The 28-year-old was a member of the Gunners squad on their recent Asia tour, which brought four wins from as many games, two of which were by a margin of six or more goals, with Arsene Wenger`s men going on to beat Premier League rivals Manchester City 3-1 in Helsinki on Saturday.
It has been a first full pre-season for Mertesacker with the London club, having signed on deadline day in 2011 and spent much of last season`s preparations injured, and the Germany international is enthused by what he has seen so far.
"We`ve had a longer pre-season and more time to know each other better, to prepare ourselves in training," he told the club`s official website.
"I think we have a good team spirit and we`ve built it up, especially in Asia, where we were together for more than two weeks.
"If we stick together more in the first month, especially in the Champions League qualifier [against Fenerbahce] and the first games of the Premier League, we can continue our good run that we had [at the end] of last season."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional