Messi 2 shy of Maradona’s milestone of international goals
Washington: Argentinian footballer Lionel Messi is reportedly eyeing another milestone after reaching just two goals behind Diego Maradona`s international total of 34 goals, which guided Argentina closer to qualifying for 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
The four-time World Player of the Year scored his 32nd international goal to help Argentina defeat Venezuela 3-0 in Buenos Aires as Argentina remained four points clear at the top of the South American group.
Argentina has not won the World Cup since 1986 when Maradona led his country to glory, adding that Messi is a desperate hope for the country to change their luck for the better this year.
The football ace, who scored 91 goals for his club Barcelona and his country in 2012 which surpassed the previous record of 85 by Germany`s Gerd Muller, looks set to break new ground once again.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- This is what a Pakistani thinks why cow is sacred for Hindus - Watch
- Security forces kill separatist guerilla in Jammu & Kashmir's Kupwara
- DU admissions 2016 first online cut-off list to be declared today
- Woman suicide over morphed picture: One arrested
- 7th Pay Commission: Gratuity ceiling doubled to Rs 20 lakh