Messi 2 shy of Maradona’s milestone of international goals
Washington: Argentinian footballer Lionel Messi is reportedly eyeing another milestone after reaching just two goals behind Diego Maradona`s international total of 34 goals, which guided Argentina closer to qualifying for 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
The four-time World Player of the Year scored his 32nd international goal to help Argentina defeat Venezuela 3-0 in Buenos Aires as Argentina remained four points clear at the top of the South American group.
Argentina has not won the World Cup since 1986 when Maradona led his country to glory, adding that Messi is a desperate hope for the country to change their luck for the better this year.
The football ace, who scored 91 goals for his club Barcelona and his country in 2012 which surpassed the previous record of 85 by Germany`s Gerd Muller, looks set to break new ground once again.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed