Messi adds to legend as Barca win in Copa del Rey
Madrid: Lionel Messi was again the star of the show as FC Barcelona all but assured their place in the last 16 of the Spanish Copa del Rey knockout competition.
The Argentinean`s two goals Wednesday night were his 87th and 88th goal of the year and end any doubt whether or not he is the player who has scored most goals in a 12-month period as well as assuring a 2-0 win away to second division side Cordoba in the first leg of their cup tie, reports Xinhua.
Barcelona are almost assured of progressing to the next phase given that the next leg will be played in their Camp Nou Stadium in the new year.
If Barca fulfill expectations they will play either Malaga or third tier (Segunda B) side Eibar, who assured a place in the last 16 with a 1-1 draw away to Athletic Club Bilbao.
Sevilla also virtually booked a place in the quarterfinals thanks to a 5-0 win away to Mallorca. Mallorca`s crushing defeat came thanks to a dreadful display on the back of 12 games without a win in all competition and coach Joaquin Caparros is under pressure of losing his job.
Real Madrid were on the ropes against Celta Vigo as Mario Bermejo and Christian Bustos gave the Galician side a 2-0 lead in their Balaidos Stadium.
However, Cristiano Ronaldo scored from a Xabi Alonso pass four minutes from time to mean a 1-0 win will see Madrid through in the return leg, although the result does little to dispel doubts about Madrid`s poor away form this season.
Another setback was the ankle injury which forced Karim Benzema out, injured in the first half.
Atletico Madrid took a positive result from the first leg of their Madrid derby at home to Getafe. Deigo Costa scored twice and Felipe Luis also got on the scoresheet as Atletico continued their excellent season with a 3-0 win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues