Messi allays fears over knee injury
Madrid: FC Barcelona striker Lionel Messi spoke about the moments of worry he felt after going down clutching his knee during Wednesday night`s Champions League tie against Benfica.
Messi collided with Benfica keeper Artur, before turning to shoot and immediately collapsed on the turn, reports Xinhua.
He was carried off on a stretcher and most feared he had suffered a serious knee injury, although tests later ruled that out. Speaking at a publicity event Thursday, Messi said there was nothing serious in his knock, but admitted he had been worried when it had happened.
"I finished the move shooting at goal, because I thought it was going to be the last time I touched a ball in a long time," said Messi.
"When I went off on the stretcher, I feared the worst because of the pain. I thought I was going to be out of action for a long time. Now I feel OK, fortunately it was just a knock," he added.
Messi trained in the gym Thursday and could play against Real Betis at the weekend, as he seeks to beat Gerd Muller`s record of 85 goals in a calendar year, at the moment he has 84.
"I am not certain if I will be there Sunday, it depends on how it evolves," he said, unworried that his absence would be a problem to a side that has won 13 out of 14 games so far this season.
"The team will be the same with or without me. We have a lot of players," said Messi, who said Muller`s record was not an obsession, although he admitted, "it would be nice to break it, as it has been there for such a long time."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?