Messi allays fears over knee injury
Madrid: FC Barcelona striker Lionel Messi spoke about the moments of worry he felt after going down clutching his knee during Wednesday night`s Champions League tie against Benfica.
Messi collided with Benfica keeper Artur, before turning to shoot and immediately collapsed on the turn, reports Xinhua.
He was carried off on a stretcher and most feared he had suffered a serious knee injury, although tests later ruled that out. Speaking at a publicity event Thursday, Messi said there was nothing serious in his knock, but admitted he had been worried when it had happened.
"I finished the move shooting at goal, because I thought it was going to be the last time I touched a ball in a long time," said Messi.
"When I went off on the stretcher, I feared the worst because of the pain. I thought I was going to be out of action for a long time. Now I feel OK, fortunately it was just a knock," he added.
Messi trained in the gym Thursday and could play against Real Betis at the weekend, as he seeks to beat Gerd Muller`s record of 85 goals in a calendar year, at the moment he has 84.
"I am not certain if I will be there Sunday, it depends on how it evolves," he said, unworried that his absence would be a problem to a side that has won 13 out of 14 games so far this season.
"The team will be the same with or without me. We have a lot of players," said Messi, who said Muller`s record was not an obsession, although he admitted, "it would be nice to break it, as it has been there for such a long time."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days