Messi and Valdes miss Cup game through illness
Madrid: Barcelona forward Lionel Messi and goalkeeper Victor Valdes are unavailable for the King`s Cup last-16 first leg at home to Osasuna on Wednesday because of flu and fever, the La Liga club said on their website.
Coach Pep Guardiola may in any case have rested Messi as the World Player of the Year arrived back from his native Argentina on Monday while Valdes was unlikely to have featured as number two keeper Jose Manuel Pinto normally keeps goal in the Cup.
Barca, who lost 1-0 to Real Madrid in last year`s final, will meet Real in the quarter-finals if they get past Osasuna and the Madrid side dispose of Malaga, whom they beat 3-2 in Tuesday`s first leg at the Bernabeu.
The second legs are scheduled for next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video