Messi becomes Europe’s all-time top scorer
Barcelona: It was Lionel Messi`s saddest week. Defeat to Real Madrid in the Clasico at Camp Nou saw Barcelona relinquish La Liga and there was further personal pain as the Argentine missed a penalty and saw his side lose out to Chelsea in the Champions League semi-finals. There were tears of tristesse, there was sorrow and there was suffering. And two days later, Messi was left inconsolable as Pep Guardiola announced his decision to leave the Catalan club this summer. Leo`s life had looked so perfect. Now, on the football field at least, it was falling apart.
Two goals in the 7-0 rout of Rayo on Sunday barely brought a smile back to Barca - or to Messi - but as the Camp Nou crowd celebrated their coach on Wednesday, there was some cheer for their prized player as well.
Messi`s hat-trick in the 4-1 win over Malaga will not stop Madrid from winning La Liga, but it did bring another accolade to the Argentine: he is now the highest-ever scorer in a European campaign with 68 goals this term (including a record 46 in the Primera Division, and an all-time high of 14 in the Champions League).
When Leo struck 53 in 2010-11 to tie with Cristiano Ronaldo on goals scored last season, he was still only 23. "I have yet to reach my peak," he claimed. Such a statement must have represented a petrifying prospect for rival defences. How many goals would he hit in the coming campaigns?
The sky, it seems, is the limit for the brilliant Ballon d`Or winner of the last three years. Having surpassed his high from 2010-11 and reached 60 strikes in early April, Gerd Muller`s all-time mark of 67 looked set to be smashed sooner or later.
And now it has been. Having failed to net in either of the games against Chelsea and also in the Clasico at home to Madrid, Messi has hit five in his last two appearances to rewrite the record books once more and move to within two goals of 70 for the season, with a possible three further fixtures yet to play.
And while he was unable to inspire his side in the decisive dates recently, the Argentine has been instrumental this term as Barca have added the Spanish Supercopa, the Uefa Super Cup and the Club World Cup to their trophy collection, with the possibility of a Copa del Rey to come in what will be Guardiola`s last match as coach.
So as the Camp Nou lamented the loss of the two top titles and the dignified departure of their best-ever boss, there remain reasons to be optimistic, starting with their Mr Messi. He`s going nowhere. And that`s surely the best news of all for Barcelona.
Everyone else, meanwhile, should just sit back and enjoy this wonderful player and his amazing achievement: Messi is the greatest goalscorer the game has ever seen - and this record may never, ever be broken.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in