Messi credits teammates for ‘unprecedented’ fourth consecutive FIFA Ballon d`Or
Wellington: Barcelona and Argentina striker Lionel Messi has added another award to his list of achievements after he won an unprecedented fourth and consecutive Ballon d`Or award.
The award has sealed Messi’s status as the greatest player of his generation after he saw off Real Madrid rival Cristiano Ronaldo and Barcelona teammate Andres Iniesta for the prize.
Messi received 41.60 percent of votes to 23.68 for Ronaldo, who came second, and 10.91 for Iniesta for the third position.
Messi and former French star, UEFA president Michel Platini, had been the only players to win three straight Ballon d`Or awards, Stuff.co.nz reports.
After winning the honour, Messi said that was incredible to receive the award once again and would like to share it with his Barca teammates.
Spain’s Vicente del Bosque was named coach of the year for 2012, seeing off competition from Real Madrid`s Jose Mourinho and former Barcelona coach Josep Guardiola, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog