Messi gives backing to Martino
Barcelona: The position became available following the news on Friday of Tito Vilanova`s cancer relapse, which forced the 44-year-old to hand in his resignation to the club.
Martino, who guided Newell`s Old Boys to the title in Argentina last season, is one of the favourites to land the job according to reports emerging from South America and Messi believes `Tata` could be the right man for the role.
"I really like Martino, he is a great technician. He makes his teams play well and everybody respects that," he told Ole.
Martino has gained a strong reputation in South America following a four-year stint with Paraguay, with whom he was voted the South American Coach of the Year in 2007.
Meanwhile, Gabriel Heinze, 35, who plays for Newell`s, has also lent his support to his coach, insisting he is not shocked by the reports that Barca are interested in making Martino their boss.
"I`m not surprised Barca think about Tata Martino. I think he would be the ideal coach for Barcelona," he told Cope.
"Martino is a coach who doesn`t leave anything to chance. His focus is 100 per cent on ball possession."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed