Messi gives backing to Martino
Barcelona: The position became available following the news on Friday of Tito Vilanova`s cancer relapse, which forced the 44-year-old to hand in his resignation to the club.
Martino, who guided Newell`s Old Boys to the title in Argentina last season, is one of the favourites to land the job according to reports emerging from South America and Messi believes `Tata` could be the right man for the role.
"I really like Martino, he is a great technician. He makes his teams play well and everybody respects that," he told Ole.
Martino has gained a strong reputation in South America following a four-year stint with Paraguay, with whom he was voted the South American Coach of the Year in 2007.
Meanwhile, Gabriel Heinze, 35, who plays for Newell`s, has also lent his support to his coach, insisting he is not shocked by the reports that Barca are interested in making Martino their boss.
"I`m not surprised Barca think about Tata Martino. I think he would be the ideal coach for Barcelona," he told Cope.
"Martino is a coach who doesn`t leave anything to chance. His focus is 100 per cent on ball possession."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read