Messi honoured by Maradona and Pele comparisons
Barcelona: Lionel Messi has admitted that it is an honour to be compared with Pele and Maradona.
The Argentina international is on course to lift the Ballon d`Or for a fourth consecutive year and has received plaudits from far and wide for a spectacular 12 months for club and country.
However, the Barcelona man, who needs one more goal to equal Gerd Muller’s record of 85 goals in a calendar year, says he does not judge himself by the standards set by other players.
“I am honoured to be compared to both (Pele and Diego Maradona),” he told Voetbal International.
“But mostly I try to be better for me and for the team, not to surpass others.”
Messi scored twice in the Blaugrana`s 5-1 victory over Athletic Bilbao on Saturday to seal a record breaking start to the campaign for the club in La Liga and then revealed his hunger to make up for the disappointment of the previous campaign.
“I do not know what went wrong last season. But we will try our utmost to make sure it does not happen again and make sure we are hungry for more," he added.
The 25-year-old has often enjoyed fruitful partnership with Cesc Fabregas in attack and he says the two of them have a good understanding on and off the pitch.
“Cesc and I get on really well, we always know what each other wants. He is so easy to play with," Messi continued.
“I think we both know the type of game the club wants to play."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Crucial file on 'truth behind Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose's disappearance' destroyed in 1972
- Russian woman raped in Goa by guest house owner
- Nobody can portray Lakhan better than me: Anil Kapoor
- PHOTOS: How Mumbai Indians' captain Rohit Sharma celebrated his 29th birthday!
- Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim describes West Bengal's Garden Reach as 'mini-pakistan', draws flak