‘Messi injury just a minor knock’
Barcelona: Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova believes that Lionel Messi`s knee injury is not as worse as many feared, and that it is just a minor knock.
The Argentine attacker was stretchered off in the closing stages of Barcelona`s scoreless Champions League draw against Benfica, and some suspected that the prolific forward had picked up a serious injury.
However, tests have since revealed that Messi has sustained a contusion on his left knee, and although the attacker has yet to undergo further examination, Vilanova has reacted relieved.
"It looks like it’s just a knock but they will be doing more tests to rule out other possibilities," Vilanova told reporters.
"Messi was a bit worried initially, which is normal when you don`t know what it is. After the first tests by the doctors, he was calm, though."
Vilanova then went on to stress that he doesn`t regret his decision to let Messi come off the bench for the final 30 minutes as they had previously agreed the Argentine would make a substitute cameo.
"We talked about the possibility of him playing for 30 minutes. He’s a player who likes to play. It was part of his physical training program," the head coach continued.
"We should not take him off every time we’re leading 3-0 lest he picks up an injury. We’ve never behaved this way. If I had to repeat the game, I’d make the same decision seeing as he can get injured at any moment."
Barcelona resume action against Betis at the weekend, but it is not known yet whether Messi will be available.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed