‘Messi injury just a minor knock’
Barcelona: Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova believes that Lionel Messi`s knee injury is not as worse as many feared, and that it is just a minor knock.
The Argentine attacker was stretchered off in the closing stages of Barcelona`s scoreless Champions League draw against Benfica, and some suspected that the prolific forward had picked up a serious injury.
However, tests have since revealed that Messi has sustained a contusion on his left knee, and although the attacker has yet to undergo further examination, Vilanova has reacted relieved.
"It looks like it’s just a knock but they will be doing more tests to rule out other possibilities," Vilanova told reporters.
"Messi was a bit worried initially, which is normal when you don`t know what it is. After the first tests by the doctors, he was calm, though."
Vilanova then went on to stress that he doesn`t regret his decision to let Messi come off the bench for the final 30 minutes as they had previously agreed the Argentine would make a substitute cameo.
"We talked about the possibility of him playing for 30 minutes. He’s a player who likes to play. It was part of his physical training program," the head coach continued.
"We should not take him off every time we’re leading 3-0 lest he picks up an injury. We’ve never behaved this way. If I had to repeat the game, I’d make the same decision seeing as he can get injured at any moment."
Barcelona resume action against Betis at the weekend, but it is not known yet whether Messi will be available.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?