Messi inspires Argentina to 2-1 away win over Colombia
Barranquilla (Colombia): Sergio Aguero hit the winner six minutes from time after Lionel Messi`s equaliser helped Argentina recover to beat Colombia 2-1 away and put their World Cup qualifying campaign back on track on Tuesday.
Messi, given more room in the second half when coach Alejandro Sabella put Aguero on for midfielder Pablo Guinazu, levelled the scores just past the hour.
Colombia had taken the lead on the stroke of halftime when midfielder Darlon Pabon`s free kick was deflected by Javier Mascherano past goalkeeper Sergio Romero.
The win puts Argentina level on seven points with Uruguay although the South American champions, who did not play on Tuesday, have a match in hand. Argentina`s points have come from two wins, a draw and a defeat.
"I think we won because we went out to convince (everyone) we can beat anyone despite what happened against Bolivia," Aguero told a reporter on the pitch referring to their disappointing 1-1 home draw on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre