Messi is a legend, says Sabella
Madrid: Alejandro Sabella has described Lionel Messi as a "legend" and praised his incredible development into a "global star".
In a press conference ahead of the Albiceleste`s World Cup 2014 qualifier against Venezuela, Sabella showered praise on the Barcelona forward and what he has achieved in his career so far.
“Messi is a legend in football. What he has done in recent years has been impressive and he is now a major global star."
Argentina are currently enjoying a great run of form which has seen them climb up to third in the Fifa world rankings, and they have not lost a qualifying match since October 2011.
Sabella’s men are currently top of their South American group with 20 points, but the 58-year-old is wary of Venezuela, who were the side to inflict that last qualifying defeat on his team 17 months ago.
He added: "Venezuela have improved a lot, they have a great coach and are very compact. They have a very respectable team and a lot of their players play abroad.
"We have guarded optimism. You have to respect the opponent."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says