Messi is `fundamental` to Barcelona, says Iniesta
Barcelona: Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta says Lionel Messi is an integral part of the team and his team-mates depend on him.
The Argentina international picked up a hamstring injury in the first leg of the Champions League quarter-final against PSG shortly after he put the Catalans ahead and is a doubt to play in the second leg with the score finely poised at 2-2.
And the Spaniard concedes Messi, who missed the weekend`s match against Mallorca, is a fundamental part of Barcelona squad.
"We will see today [Tuesday] and tomorrow if Leo Messi can play. It all depends on how he feels. They will decide if he can play or not,” he told a press conference.
“He sustained an injury so they need to talk to take a decision. Without a doubt, there is Messi dependence in the team in the sense that he`s a fundamental player, but then there`s no Messi dependence because we`re a team and lots of players can score goals.
“We need to reach June with all the options to win titles. Leo is a fundamental and decisive player for us: he`s the No.1.”
Meanwhile, Iniesta also hailed the impact of Cesc Fabregas, who netted his first hat-trick of his career in the 5-0 demolition of Mallorca on Saturday.
"I am lucky enough to have such a complete player alongside me as Cesc," he continued.
"He helps my game and the team`s performance. He interprets exactly where his team-mates are on the pitch and that`s fundamental.
"He interprets our game perfectly well. He played at a very high level when he left the club and now we are fortunate enough to have him back here.
"I hope he carries on playing as well as he is until the end of the season and he helps us win titles."
The 28-year-old is not underestimating the threat Paris Saint-Germain carry. but insists if Barca play to their best then they should win.
He added: "PSG are very fast when it comes to reaching our penalty area. They have technically very good players, a very complete squad with a lot of talent.
"We have to take all that into account, but we just have to do our job. If we play well, the opposition will suffer and we will have a good chance of winning the match."
Long-term absentee Eric Abidal made his comeback at the weekend following a liver transplant in April last year and Iniesta was delighted to have the Frenchman back playing.
He said: "It was incredible to see Éric Abidal back on the pitch. It made our hair stand on end, as you say. It was a unique moment.
"He`s an example for many people who might be going through difficult moments. To see someone like Abi, who is back playing football after everything he`s been through, is incredible.
"He`s a great example for all those people who could need an example like him."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'