Messi out for up to eight weeks, Fabregas hurt
Barcelona: Barcelona`s Argentina forward Lionel Messi will be out for between six and eight weeks with a hamstring injury and their Spain playmaker Cesc Fabregas has been sidelined for seven days with knee trouble, the La Liga leaders said on Monday.
Messi suffered a muscle tear in his left hamstring and Fabregas sustained ligament damage to his right knee during Barca`s 4-1 La Liga win at Real Betis on Sunday, Barca said in a statement on their website (www.fcbarcelona.es).
The double blow to the Spanish champions is perhaps not as serious as it might first appear as Messi will likely return before Barca face title rivals Atletico Madrid in January and they have already qualified for the Champions League last 16.
In Brazil forward Neymar, signed from Santos in the close season, they also have a player with a similar ability to turn a game with a breathtaking piece of skill.
Fabregas, who struck twice and set up Neymar to score against Betis before being replaced late on, should be back in action when his team mates return from the international break to face Granada at the Nou Camp on November 23.
Messi will miss Argentina`s friendlies against Ecuador on November 15 and Bosnia on November 18, while Fabregas has pulled out of Spain`s friendlies against Equatorial Guinea and South Africa on November 16 and November 19 respectively.
The former Arsenal captain has been replaced in the world and European champions` squad by Barca team mate Marc Bartra, a central defender, the Spanish soccer federation (RFEF) said.
Messi was substituted in the 19th minute in Seville on Sunday after pulling up following a sprint for possession and a tangle with his markers. It was the World Player of the Year`s 16th game of the season, in which he has scored 14 goals in all competitions.
It was the third thigh injury of the campaign for a player renowned under former Barca coach Pep Guardiola for his ability to avoid injury, despite being the focal point of the club`s famed tiki-taka, one-touch football.
Barca said the first stage of Messi`s recovery would be in the Catalan city before he travelled to Buenos Aires.
The 26-year-old will miss the final two matches in the Champions League group stage, against Ajax Amsterdam and Celtic.
He will also be unavailable for La Liga games against Granada, Athletic Bilbao, Villarreal and Getafe and the two-legged King`s Cup tie against Cartagena but could return in time for the La Liga clash at Atletico the weekend of January11/12.
Barca top the standings by three points from Atletico and six from arch-rivals Real Madrid in third.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3