Messi out for up to eight weeks, Fabregas hurt
Barcelona: Barcelona`s Argentina forward Lionel Messi will be out for between six and eight weeks with a hamstring injury and their Spain playmaker Cesc Fabregas has been sidelined for seven days with knee trouble, the La Liga leaders said on Monday.
Messi suffered a muscle tear in his left hamstring and Fabregas sustained ligament damage to his right knee during Barca`s 4-1 La Liga win at Real Betis on Sunday, Barca said in a statement on their website (www.fcbarcelona.es).
The double blow to the Spanish champions is perhaps not as serious as it might first appear as Messi will likely return before Barca face title rivals Atletico Madrid in January and they have already qualified for the Champions League last 16.
In Brazil forward Neymar, signed from Santos in the close season, they also have a player with a similar ability to turn a game with a breathtaking piece of skill.
Fabregas, who struck twice and set up Neymar to score against Betis before being replaced late on, should be back in action when his team mates return from the international break to face Granada at the Nou Camp on November 23.
Messi will miss Argentina`s friendlies against Ecuador on November 15 and Bosnia on November 18, while Fabregas has pulled out of Spain`s friendlies against Equatorial Guinea and South Africa on November 16 and November 19 respectively.
The former Arsenal captain has been replaced in the world and European champions` squad by Barca team mate Marc Bartra, a central defender, the Spanish soccer federation (RFEF) said.
Messi was substituted in the 19th minute in Seville on Sunday after pulling up following a sprint for possession and a tangle with his markers. It was the World Player of the Year`s 16th game of the season, in which he has scored 14 goals in all competitions.
It was the third thigh injury of the campaign for a player renowned under former Barca coach Pep Guardiola for his ability to avoid injury, despite being the focal point of the club`s famed tiki-taka, one-touch football.
Barca said the first stage of Messi`s recovery would be in the Catalan city before he travelled to Buenos Aires.
The 26-year-old will miss the final two matches in the Champions League group stage, against Ajax Amsterdam and Celtic.
He will also be unavailable for La Liga games against Granada, Athletic Bilbao, Villarreal and Getafe and the two-legged King`s Cup tie against Cartagena but could return in time for the La Liga clash at Atletico the weekend of January11/12.
Barca top the standings by three points from Atletico and six from arch-rivals Real Madrid in third.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks