Messi renews contract with Barcelona until 2018
Madrid: Argentine striker Lionel Messi has extended his contract with Spanish football giants Barcelona till 2018.
Besides Messi, Xavi Hernandez and Carles Puyol have also renewed their contracts until 2016, Barcelona announced Tuesday, reports Xinhua.
Messi`s renewal was surprising as his current contract runs till 2016. But Barcelona wanted to assure his continuity in the team till 2018.
Defender Puyol`s contract ends in June 2013. He had already confirmed he would like to play with Barcelona until 40 and after his renewal, he will play with the team until he is 38 years old.
Xavi will be playing with de Barcelona until he is 36.
Barcelona`s spokesperson for the board of directors, Toni Freixa termed it an "extraordinary news" and pointed out that "they are renewing three essential pillars of the best Barca in history".
With these renewals, Barca assures the continuity of three important players which are crucial for its game.
The club reported each player will sign his contract in the following weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’