Messi renews contract with Barcelona until 2018
Madrid: Argentine striker Lionel Messi has extended his contract with Spanish football giants Barcelona till 2018.
Besides Messi, Xavi Hernandez and Carles Puyol have also renewed their contracts until 2016, Barcelona announced Tuesday, reports Xinhua.
Messi`s renewal was surprising as his current contract runs till 2016. But Barcelona wanted to assure his continuity in the team till 2018.
Defender Puyol`s contract ends in June 2013. He had already confirmed he would like to play with Barcelona until 40 and after his renewal, he will play with the team until he is 38 years old.
Xavi will be playing with de Barcelona until he is 36.
Barcelona`s spokesperson for the board of directors, Toni Freixa termed it an "extraordinary news" and pointed out that "they are renewing three essential pillars of the best Barca in history".
With these renewals, Barca assures the continuity of three important players which are crucial for its game.
The club reported each player will sign his contract in the following weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Russian GP: Nico Rosberg wins seventh race in succession as Lewis Hamilton recovers to second spot
- No need for cash; pay through mobile phone at Café Coffee Day now
- VVIP chopper scam: RSS mouthpiece dares Congress to reveal who's 'Signora Gandhi' mentioned in Italian court
- EPL: Anthony Martial strikes as Manchester United make Leicester City wait for title
- PM Modi visits Varanasi, launches 'e-boats' at Assi Ghat: In Pics