Messi reveals Ronaldinho debt
Barcelona: Lionel Messi has revealed his debt of gratitude to Ronaldinho for helping him through his early days at Barcelona.
The four-time Ballon d`Or winner made his Blaugrana debut back in 2004, a year after the Brazilian joined the club from Paris Saint-Germain and set about becoming a Camp Nou idol.
It is a time Messi has never forgotten and he admits the welcoming presence of Ronaldinho ensured his transition to the first team was a smooth one.
He told Barca TV: I`ve always said, since the first moment I walked in the locker room, Ronaldinho and other Brazilians, Deco, Sylvinho and [Thiago] Motta welcomed me and provided me things, but mostly he (Ronaldinho), and I learned a lot at his side."
"It was a big help. It`s never easy to go into a locker room as a teenager and Ronaldinho made everything easier. I was fortunate to live near him and share many things with him. I can say that he is a great person and that`s the most important thing."
Ronaldinho lifted two Liga titles and the Champions League during a five-year spell at Camp Nou and Messi believes the 33-year-old was the biggest sole influence behind that side`s success.
He continued: "Ronaldinho was responsible for changing the club. The club was going through a bad spell but it changed with his arrival.
"During the first year we did not win anything but people loved him. Later came the titles and he made all those people happy. I believe that Barca should be forever grateful for everything he did."
The Brazil international eventually left the club for AC Milan in 2008, before joining Flamengo and then Atletico Mineiro in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony